Become a certified lifeguard through the BTLFC American Red Cross Lifeguard Training certification program. You will be trained by experienced instructors to act with speed and confidence in emergency situations both in and out of the water. Topics include water rescue skills, surveillance and recognition, first aid, breathing and cardiac emergencies and more. Certified lifeguards are always high on the help-wanted list, so dive in and launch your aquatic career.
Course Prerequisites (as of January 2012) :
Entry into the Red Cross Lifeguarding course is strictly limited to those who meet the mininum age requirement and who successfully complete the prerequisite swimming skills evaluation.
- Must be at least 15 years old (by last day of class)
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing (can use freestyle or breastroke, no sidestroke or backstroke)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object
- Surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands holding the object during entire return swim
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
Need help preparing for the swimming skills evaluation? Consider our Lifeguard Precourse Prep classes offered year-round.
To register for a class:
Important Class Information (FAQ's) - Please read
If not including payment on the registration form:
Pay online (Important: create login name as the participant); or pay by phone.
For additional information contact: Jeremy Post
New! Join the LandryLifeguards Facebook Group page and experience the latest in: class schedules, DFW area job openings, lifeguard program updates, news articles, discussions and more. Click here to join.